My Dream: Use SMS Text Messaging to Drive Kaseya

How about the ability to run a reboot script from a text command and appending the name of the server you would like restarted? Ooohh I like that! When those calls come in at the movie theater, because Exchange is down, a simple SMS to Kaseya, for a reboot, could let you actually finish the movie.

If anyone else agrees with me on the potential value here, comment on the blog. If there is a high response rate, I will make a formal request to our development staff.

My iPhone thumbs are tired now.

14 Responses to “My Dream: Use SMS Text Messaging to Drive Kaseya”

1. TSI-Eric December 5, 2008 at 1:08 pm #

As I stated in the forum. I think that this is a great idea. I will agree that the idea behind Kaseya is to prevent a need to respond to emergencies. But as we all know, you can’t plan for the unexpected and sometimes computers have minds of their own. Maybe a service will need to be restarted while you are away from a computer, maybe a machine will require a reboot. Odds are (thanks to Murphy and those pesky laws) that it’ll be when you need it least (for a totally random example, how about last night while I was at the Cheesecake Factory with my girlfriend waiting for the dessert to come out that has “will you marry me” written on the plate…for a totally random example *cough*). However, there should be some safeties involved (as one person on the forum stated, nuking the wrong server because of a typo is not something that we’d like to have to explain to a customer). So, here’s what I propose, if you need to do something like a reboot on server Exchange01 for customer ABC Company then require a syntax something like “Reboot exchange01.ABC-Company”. Other than that, I like the idea.

2. TSI-Eric, thanks for the comment! I completely agree as well. Kaseya exists to prevent issues from happening. Unfortunately, in IT, there will always be reactive work to do and this could provide a little buffer for moments you just like you described :)!

Thanks also for telling me about the comment issue. All the best!

3. Jon Wayne December 5, 2008 at 3:52 pm #

What would be truly great is if the kserver supported scriptable plugins (say, in phython). I work for a semi-mid-range company and we’d love to extend kaseya to further integrate it with our other services and internal software. if only Kaseya was truly script-able. If it had that feature, Kaseya would be a killer.

4. Hey Jon Wayne, how about an example? In my past job we used Kaseya to dump a python script to a machine, run, dump data, and then have Kaseya pull the resulting data in and report on it.

We love hearing examples though!

5. Jon Wayne December 5, 2008 at 8:44 pm #

An example would be this:

We have Kaseya, and a separate ticketing/CRM/Service Order system. Luckily, our system supports full scripting (through ECMAScript).

It would be extremely useful to write a module for Kaseya that allows our CRM to pull alerts/tickets out of kaseya and create service tickets for us, because at the moment, we are doing that manually.

Also, we could have the CRM report back to kaseya and close tickets and alerts. It’d also be nice to be able to use some features of kaseya (such as remote control) directly from our CRM.

The possibilities with a fully-scripted remote management software are vast.

Imagine receiving a txt or Instant Message or Growl Network Notification when high-profile alerts are thrown in Kaseya.

My primary operating system is Linux (of course I have windows in a virtual machine). I would love to be able to script a more elegant way of using Remote Control under linux (I’m currently using a rather hackish, but effective solution).

6. Chris Sotak December 6, 2008 at 1:04 pm #

I’ve been using Kaseya for a couple years now. One of the things I most enjoy about my “job” is when I get to sit down and spend some quality time creating a killer script, monitor set, or log parser, and of course dreaming about what I can “trick” Kaseya into doing next.

Chad’s dream crystallized for me with the introduction of the custom log parser. The first custom log parser I created was for the “Exchange 2003 Message Tracking Log”. This is a tab delimited log file, and contains fields such as the message subject, sender and recipient email address.

I was soon fashioning log parser sets that would trigger on certain message subjects, sender and recipient address combinations. For example, I created a trigger/alert that executes a script and reboots a certain server when I send an email message with the subject of “broken arrow SERVERNAME”.

I certainly hope that there will be better “built in” functionality for Kaseya to receive commands from messaging applications, however, I am now living the dream “commanding” Kaseya from the comfort of my Motorola Q. (sorry Chad, I don’t own an iPhone).

7. Jeffrey Lee December 7, 2008 at 11:21 pm #

Why waste time with an SMS message when Kaseya could do it right by creating a mobile web interface for Kaseya?

8. Michael December 11, 2008 at 11:37 pm #

Yes! – I know that someone on the KForum has enabled this functionality already by using the log parser on the message tracking log and having the log parser kick off scripts. This would be a very cool integrated ability.

9. cash advance online February 11, 2009 at 1:38 pm #

i like even more text messaging than talking on the phone to be sincere 🙂

10. Ray July 25, 2009 at 9:15 am #

The new Palm Pre from Sprint can log in to the Kserver and you can launch scripts from the interface that results. The only problem is the way searches are performed. I have thousands of scripts written over the years, and the search window won’t work. Scrolling forever now but getting the job done!

• Ray, thanks for the update on the Palm Pre browsing experience with Kaseya. I love the fact that you can launch scripts, what a powerful way to get some word done while watching a movie 🙂

11. Iwgfzkcr July 4, 2011 at 10:11 am #

ancient maya weapons,

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. Best Virtual Advertising » Blog Archive » My Dream: Use SMS Text Messaging to Drive Kaseya - December 7, 2008

[…] Chad Gniffke, Sr. Product Marketing Manager wrote an interesting post today onMy Dream: Use SMS Text Messaging to Drive KaseyaHere’s a quick excerptAs I am sitting here typing this post, over my iPhone, I thought about the possibility of controlling Kaseya using a standard text message. In fact, I believe there are a long list of benefits to this type of integration. … […]