How Does Kaseya's Expansion Make You Feel?

Kaseya is continuing to grow and expand.  This past week we announced the availability of our software, later this year, in China and we continue to grow our footprint in India, South America, Europe, Austrailia, United States, and others.  More and more resources are being placed into development to enhance ours products and services.  These past 12 months has been a fun ride.

As a potential or existing Kaseya customers, how does this make you feel?  What are you thinking?

43 Responses to “How Does Kaseya's Expansion Make You Feel?”

1. Rick Vines April 17, 2009 at 6:02 am #

Mixed Feelings. I think the expansion is good for Kaseya, but has little benefit for me. I worry that Kaseya is expanding in too many directions and has become somewhat arrogant in the way it percieves it’s importance and impact. World domination is a lofty goal, but it needs to learn the importance of partnering and collaboration.

It is a good product, but there are plenty of good products out there now and VAR’s are looking hard at which company relationships offer the best value proposition. I should also add that like any software product, people only use a small subset of the available features so at a certain point you reach the point of diminishing returns and more and more products will cover those core requirements.

It is clear that you can’t do everything well and with the expansion in product offerings and geographic reach, the quality of the deliverables can surely suffer. Kaseya used to be a very small and nimble company. It was highly focused on it’s core product. Now it seems like it is expanding in every direction. Expansion is good, you can’t be the best on everything in every market.

As a US based SMB VAR, my only concern is that the management platform that I use offers me what I need to provide the best service to my clients at a competitive price. Offerings from other vendors in the areas of BUDR and NOC services have surpassed Kaseya in my opinion. While Kaseya is focused on other markets, products and services. I need a company that supports me and is interested in helping me grow my business and secure my position within my market. If Kaseya’s broad expansion assists me with those goals, then I am all for it. I’d just like someone to answer the question “What’s in it for me?”

2. Lloyd Wolf April 19, 2009 at 6:45 am #

I agree very much with Rick’s comments, he framed it well.

While some people may be impressed with the expansion into other geographic markets, I wonder how much time, enegry, effort, development $, etc. that is taking away from the time, enegry, effort, development $, etc. that could have made the product better.

Kaseya has a very good product, and it has become a major component in our business. Its success (or failure) is now becoming my company’s success (or failure).

But, as opposed to more world-wide efforts, I would much rather see continous, and more frequent improvements in the core product line, and in the core addons for KES and BUDR. I would much rather see the company perform better in the Support area – such as dedicated support teams.

Simply put – I would rather see the company focus on providing real, continuous gains and improvements – to its current Kaseya customers (and potential customers in those current market areas), rather than spending so much time, enegry, effort, development $, etc. to conquer new geographic areas.

Just my 2 cents.

3. Lloyd and Rick,

Your input is incredibly valid and I appreciate the conviction to your business. From the inside however the expansion looks a little different. I have seen more resources being poured into development and support to make our existing solutions better, more powerful, better looking :), and easier to use. As Kaseya looks to reach the masses the product needs to be faster and far more mature to survive. In many ways this is good for you.

It is also important to note that Kaseya has built a profitable business without relying on outside investors to keep us afloat. Many of our competitors required third party capital to get started and have yet to prove whether their model works. Our model works! As a business owner it is important for you to know that you have invested in a financially stable organization that is only poised for continued growth and development of their product.

Thank you again for your thoughts and look for great things this coming year.

4. Matt April 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm #

I’d be okay with you expanding to the moon as long as your product works with Firefox and/or Safari. The only reason I keep Windows around in a VM is to run Kaseya, and I would send you kittens and rainbows if you would allow me to finally ditch it. Pretty please?

5. Marc April 23, 2009 at 7:22 am #

I have to agree with Matt. The internet usage statistics are telling a pretty plain tale. Windows Internet Explorer specific applications are becoming a dinosaur, and with some (many?) of our end clients, and Kaseya’s clients (MSPs) moving to alternate browsers, or even alternate operating systems, the reliance on the one specific browser is troublesome.

By all means, conquer the rest of the world. In the meantime however, for those of us with you on this road today, not on your sales calls list tommorow, please work to remove the Internet Explorer handcuffs. After that, the next step is integrating remote control away from windows only. We use Mac desktops and notebooks for our IT team. Right now everyone has to have a Windows VM, because of Kaseya. However, when we’re not IN Kaseya, we can still remote control windows desktops through terminal services with the Microsoft written “Remote Desktop for Mac” that allows us to control windows desktops.

When we log in to Kaseya though? Our Platform? It’s back to IE 7, back to Windows remote desktop or VNC on windows only.

TLDR version: Help us, your MSP customers and even your internal large clients, do our work. Don’t tell us what platform we have to use to do it. That defeats, or at least works against, our internal choices and the point of browser based applications like KServer.

6. David Bourgeois April 23, 2009 at 12:32 pm #

I can mostly see the benefit growth can have on a company (more $$ for development/support).

But I do worry about a company expanding too fast. When that happens the additional new revenue will go more towards expansion (needing more sales people in new territories) and towards skewing the product to be more attractive in these markets. This can also lead to the need to gain more $$$’s by finding other ways to get revenue (perhaps charging for certain new features like KUSM instead of offering it as a product enhancement).

I really want K to keep recognizing the old addage “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”. This is what will keep them successful over the long term (thereby keeping up successful as well).

7. Tom Strickland April 26, 2009 at 11:24 am #

I see this from another perspective and I consider Kaseya’s expansion to be VERY good news. Here’s why:

As a the owner of a small MSP, Kaseya is my single biggest investment. We’ve been very successful with it and I’m about to buy more seats, thereby, INCREASING my investment. Probably the single biggest disaster I could face, is the collapse of Kaseya as a platform. I could continue to use it — unsupported — for a while and for some things but eventually, I’d have to replace it.

I agree with others that are worried Kaseya will get too big and become unresponsive to us, the early adopters. However, that risk pales in comparison to having my entire investment in the platform just go “poof”.

So as far as I’m concerned, just keep on selling and expanding your market. I want you to be around for a while.

Along these lines, some transparency would be good. Short of going public and letting us dig into the balance sheet, it would be nice if Kaseya would publish an odometer of endpoint counts. It would give me comfort to see the size of that number and to see it increasing.

Tom

8. Donnie Roland April 28, 2009 at 5:55 am #

Following the same theme as others, I would prefer to see product improvements over geographic expansion. I’m sure there’s a great argument that expansion across different markets should encounter new methods and practices not being utilized in the more common markets and those could be introduced into our practices thus improving the product however our organization has more immediate needs.

I would like to see more functional agents on mac and the long long awaited Linux agent. The Windows Mobile Agent is a “cool” toy to add but Linux is far more useful.

I think we need an overhaul on the SNMP module. There are better freeware snmp tools out there than the Kaseya module and their support staff knows little to nothing about their snmp.

While their scripting module is easy to use, those with extensive scripting/programming experience find it very clumsy and difficult to work with. Half of our scripts have a vbs file attached to them because we were unable to perform what we wanted through the available scripting commands.

It always baffles me that we have to build our own wrapper monthly on the .net and other manual patches. They are not difficult to build however I might suggest that Kaseya could just as easily push that wrapper out to all of their clients and then just let us hit the Run button.

Going in another direction, their existing ticketing module was clearly built out of the need to say they have “Integrated Ticketing” and no expenses were expended in the building of their ticketing. It does in fact work and I should not complain however I will since I’m on a roll. Their new ticketing/CRM module is supposedly a licensed module. I was a little surprised at that. It seems that by adding CRM functionality to their product without a price increase would be the deciding factor for many potential clients to go with Kaseya over the competitors. We’ve already spent a great deal of time making SugarCRM work for us and we will almost definitely not change over to the Kaseya CRM unless it is free and will remain free.

After all of those complaints, I would like to close that I still think Kaseya is one of the better products out there and was the best one for us at the time we purchased. I would like to see product improvements no matter if they are born from expansion or just client prompted.

9. GeeJay October 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm #

In today’s world any software vendor specifically in this space almost has no option but to expand globally. (It’s not the exclusive domain of China:)) I don’t think it is an egotistical statement of intent. I think it’s about survival first and prosperity second. From what I have read and heard, what Kaseya has done is to create a point of presence just about on every continent.( Hmm sounds like John Chambers 14 years ago) Looking at the amount of MSPs that have joined the programme in Europe, UK, Australia etc I think we can be pretty secure that these Kaseyan operations are not only sustaining themselves but adding to the pot that will allow Kaseya to employ more development and support staff to do what they have always done best. Create new revenue opportunities for their MSP base through developing and increasing the amount of devices their partners can service (and automate service to.) Increased sophistication of the toolset is an ongoing and never ending product enhancement. I expect great things from this company going forward.

10. mschy February 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

So tired of firing up a VM just to use Kaseya. This product is for IT pros and no IT pro I know uses Internet Explorer. Add Linux support and I will pimp your product everywhere.. and send you Kittens and rainbows!

11. Ari February 8, 2010 at 3:52 am #

We were going to buy Kaseya, but I’m glad I found this thread – I was under the impression Kaseya fully supports Mac controllers too. Forced to buy a VM software and a Windows license is hardly that. More than that, having to maintain and secure another full operating system just to run an essentially web-based tool is not an option for us. Whatever we’d gain with Kaseya we’d lose having to maintain 20+ new installations, not to mention the lost disk space, memory and such for our REAL OPERATIONS.

Thanks Kaseya, but no thanks. We’ll be back when you support Firefox and Safari. OSX has CoRD for RDP functionality, Chicken of the VNC and other VNC tools for VNC, and other excellent products to provide whatever remote connectivity you want. ActiveX is no go.

12. Connor February 10, 2010 at 9:11 am #

I’ve been using Firefox at the front-end for Kaseya for some months now. I was unaware it was unsupported – the only bother I ever really had was a bit of fuss with the Remote Control KVNC agent, but otherwise, no issues whatsoever. I just used FF (on WinXP and Win7) because nobody ever told me I couldn’t, and if I’m actually missing any real functionality, it is news to me.

13. Chad Gniffke, Sr. Product Marketing Manager February 10, 2010 at 11:40 am #

Connor, official support is not in place, but as hotfixes and updates are released more and more features within Kaseya work with Firefox. If you are on the new Kaseya 2 framework and click on an agent icon you will launch Live Connect. Live Connect has some IE dependencies right now that make Firefox not 100% supported.

Glad it is working so well for you!

14. Henry February 24, 2010 at 9:13 am #

We are on K2 now and I wish I could just launch control of a system from Firefox without downloading and running an exe each time. I would just go back to IE but IE8 maxes out a core at a time on my system to use some of the new features while Firefox is under 40% load of any single core (features like remote registry)

• Brendan Cosgrove April 13, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

We are working hard on how we interact with browsers. FF is currently the fastest way to leverage Live Connect. Ultimately the goal is that you can use whatever browser you choose.

15. Erica March 9, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

This is all useful information, and thank you all. I was a Kaseya admin in the ‘old’ v.5 days and am toying with do I pay the outrageous fees to reinstate it so I can properly support my win7 and OSX clients or do I just start over with someone else. I like the look and feel, but I am not sure that a whole lot has been added. Historically, support was mediocre at best, thats why we bailed on the support contract. I always felt like I knew more than they did when I called. But by the sounds of others, the Mac support is not good anyways, seriously whats the point of having to run Windows inside of OSX, that defeats the purpose. Sadly I guess I will look elsewhere, I wish they tried harded to keep the clients they already had before worrying about new markets.

• Brendan Cosgrove April 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm #

Erica, there is a chance that you may get your cake and be able to eat it too. I can’t give details yet, but we are working on a way to address situations exactly like yours. Some other things to mention: Full-featured Mac agent is in beta and QA right now, Win7 is live and ready. Feel free to email me brendan.cosgrove@kaseya.com if you have any questions.

16. Scott Gorcester April 13, 2010 at 11:01 am #

I feel like Kaseya is expanding and doing well but not taking care of existing customers. I used to be a huge fan of this product but the lack of support while I pay every month has me now spitting bullets. I have recommended this product over the years and now i tell anyone who is considering it to run for the hills. I cannot endorse a product that costs tens of thousands of dollars and has terrible terrible support. Their support is the worst i have ever experienced and has been for years in my opinion. I spent near six figures on this product and i cannot rely on it.

• Brendan Cosgrove April 13, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

Scott,
      I am very sorry your experience with our support has been so terrible. We have let ourselves and our customers down in this area, especially recently, but I can assure you that hard work is being done to improve support in a significant way. We understand that you trust our software to run your business and always strive to deliver solid solutions that you can truly trust. Please feel free to email me directly if you’d like to discuss this more. brendan.cosgrove@kaseya.com

17. Lloyd Wolf April 13, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

Brendan,

I appreciate your work at Kaseya, in the user forums, and on this blog. But I have to say that, at the User Conf in 2008, senior Kaseya management stood there and said they recognized support needed improvement, they were working on it, and we should see real improvements soon.

Then (again) at the User Conf in 2009, senior Kaseya management (again) stood there and said they recognized support needed improvement, they were working on it, and we should see real improvements soon.

I suppose we’ll hear the same story this year. Poor answers/responses too many times. Slow responses too many times. No response too many times. Tickets sitting idle for days, weeks, months – time and time again. If I gave this kind of support to our clients, they would have fired my firm a long time ago.

I really like the product. It has become a HUGE part of how we provide services to our clients. Kaseya’s success (or failure) very much affects my firms success (or failure)

There are glimmers of hope. Your help in the forum has been notices. Max is Great. Jeff is great. Alan has been helpful and responsive. The company needs 10-20 more people like you guys!

Above you said ” I can assure you that hard work is being done to improve support in a significant way.” I very much hope that real progress is being made, and that we will actually see real improvements soon.

• Brendan Cosgrove April 13, 2010 at 4:42 pm #

Lloyd,
      Rather than make promises of what it will be like, I certainly recognize that actions will speak much louder than words on this subject. So, hopefully our efforts will be obvious through your interactions with us going forward. We do appreciate our customers and look forward to earning your trust and respect.

• Marc Schroeder April 20, 2010 at 8:22 am #

Brendan,

I appreciate the intent, often stated, that improving support is a core focus of Kaseya going forward. I believe that you all believe that. However, the actual point of contact, where the rubber meets the road so to speak, is that it’s not improving.

We are currently in a situation where we cannot generate certain reports. Those reports are critical to our sales efforts, to drive our licenses into the market. What do we get? First response from support, same as always, a KB link in a canned cut-n-paste. We send back that that’s not the solution, and provide screenshots of all relevant configurations, making it crystal clear exactly what we see. Second response, a day later, a one line “Did you configure your system according to the KB?” So, again we reply “Yes.”. I have no confidence whatsoever that I’ll see a response in less than 24 hours again, stringing me along as ‘Support’, while I continue to be unable to support the sales team in the field with what they need to sell these licenses we pay for.

I admit I’m frustrated. I understand, clearly, how that can color my views. As such, I’m also able to say, having considered my frustration, that it feels more as if Kaseya appreciates their customer’s payments, and looks forward to earning more payments, whether we can sell the product or not. After all, it’s already been sold by Kaseya, and I don’t feel that our interests are all that aligned lately.

• Brendan Cosgrove April 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Marc,
          If you send me that ticket number for the report issue I will land it on the appropriate desk.

Here’s a peek under the hood of what we ARE DOING to improve support/customer service: If you call us, yes I said call us, on the phone, 415.694.5700 someone will answer and help route your call appropriately. We have made a sizable $$ investment to have multi-time zone, multi-continent live phone coverage. If you get the auto attendant, follow the prompts to technical support and you SHOULD get a live technical support engineer. The only caveat to this (the reason I said should) is that this project is mid-stream for us right now. We are still training staff and refining the call routing. Other refinements in the works are tier 1 tech support routing and escalation procedures. 🙂

18. Tom Strickland April 20, 2010 at 9:10 am #

It has now been almost exactly a year since my earlier post and a lot has happened since then so I think it’s appropriate to weigh in again.

We did increase our license count last year and we continue to rely on Kaseya to run our business. I have a lot invested in Kaseya and it is in my interest for them to succeed so I’m biased in their favor.

That said, I am now very, very concerned about the state of affairs. K2 was announced and demo’d at the user conference last — May!?! Now almost a year later we’re still doing a phased rollout? We should be talking about the next release by now. The fact that we’re still talking about how painful K2 has been speaks volumes about the effectiveness of support.

I’m not running K2 yet, I haven’t been notified that I’m in the queue yet, and I have no definite plans to install it. Believe me, I’d like to. The gentle nawing I felt last year about how I could use the new features in K2 is becoming more urgent as v5.1 shows more of its age.

Kaseya used to be at the forefront of our effort to be a state-of-the-art MSP. We were one of the first in our region to adopt it but now I’m looking over my shoulder at competitors who are latecomers to the MSP space but are using more up to date tools. It would be a cruel disappointment to have spent the BIG money to be one of the pioneers of managed services in our area only to be lapped by break-fix shops who ran out and bought Labtech or LogMeIn Pro.

It will be excruciatingly painful for me to walk away from the investment I’ve made in Kaseya and I’m really hoping it doesn’t come to that. But, I would be fool to only look backward at what I’ve already spent and not consider the costs going forward. Yes, I’m starting to look at Kaseya alternatives and I’m hearing a LOT of chatter from other partners who are either looking or have already switched. I even started a few discussion threads looking for K2 adopters who could say something positive about their experience. To be fair, there have been a few of those — but only a few.

Kaseya really must get it’s head out of the sand about how serious things are. Cheerleading and trying to spin things with dubious statistics won’t do it. I’m not a huge customer but I have 1000 seats and I haven’t had one single personal contact from Kaseya to talk about this or offer any encouragement. It will be sad if that call only comes after I cancel my license.

• Brendan Cosgrove April 20, 2010 at 2:08 pm #

Tom,

We, of course, don’t want to lose a faithful customer. I have put in a request for your license to be upgraded to K2 ASAP. You should be hearing from someone shortly regarding this. If you don’t hear from anyone by the end of the day Wednesday, please call me on my cell phone @ 714.928.6074 or email me: brendan.cosgrove@kaseya.com

19. Tom Strickland April 21, 2010 at 4:49 am #

Brendan,

Thanks for the offer of K2 but I’m not ready to make that switch. We’re waiting until K2 stabilizes and most partners begin reporting that their transition was smooth and that, all things considered, life on K2 is better than v5.1. I’d love to have the new features but I must run my business on a solid platform. Thus, we’ll wait here on v5.1 for a while longer. However, the clock is ticking…

Tom

20. Anthony June 25, 2010 at 2:28 am #

To be honust im over kaseya’s live connect its not even an option to download it independently. (slow connection takes forever and usualy fails)

• Anthony, Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of the “slow” issues and have development staff focused on addressing it. Live Connect is a very important part of Kaseya and its functionality only has plans to grow.

Plan on seeing enhancements and speed improvements rolled out. I realize time is of the essence and a promise for tomorrow does not help you out today.

Hang in there…

21. Casper Lammertink October 8, 2010 at 6:38 am #

Any process on the speed and reliablity of Live Connect?
    We still have problems with it

22. Brendan Cosgrove October 8, 2010 at 8:59 am #

Have you loaded SP1? This include all hotfuxes as well as some feature changes and is very stable.

23. Casper Lammertink October 10, 2010 at 2:53 am #

Brendan, we have SP1 and running the latest hotfix: Last Hotfix: 9-Oct-10

24. ArZka October 13, 2010 at 2:21 am #

We just migrated (or rather, were forced to migrate) to K2. So far I’m not impressed. We lost all remote support connectivity for several days and are now forced to go through every single customer workstation to fix different issues with connectivity, plus we had to reinstall one of our technician workstations from the scratch because it kept on failing to initiate any kind of remote connection just either showing error in launching kvncviewer.exe or just completely failing to do anything.

We’ve been promised more and better OS X functionality from day one – that’s a few years ago. What do we have? Well, we finally have at least some kind of OS X client. However, 70% of our current customer base uses both Windows and Mac, and they expect to get the same functionality on both. Right now we lose half of those simply because they’re not happy with our capability to support their Mac people – and believe it, that number is growing. We use only Macs as our notebooks, and keep a few Windows workstations just to run Kaseya. Right now we are unable to support our customers right away because we have to schedule a time to go to our office to sit behind that Windows workstation to support them. We could just as well go to their office to fix it faster.

I have tried different VM solutions for Mac, and frankly I’d rather eat broken glass than screw up a single OS X installation more on either Parallels or VMWare. So, most of the time we can’t support our customers nearly as well as we’d like to. I for one am getting tired of waiting – my Mac has VNC clients (CotVNC for example) , it has RDP clients (Cord), it’d be fully capable of supporting my customers wherever I am. But can I? No, no, and still no. Year after year we get new useless features while the ones I’ve been promised are lagging behind. I’m getting tired of making excuses to our customers about this.

Either support OS X on both ends, or say you never will. Don’t just drag it on forever.

I’m actively looking for a solution that’d work for us better, this can’t be tolerated for much longer. Then again, Kaseya probably doesn’t care, we’ve only got ~100 licenses.

• Tom Strickland October 13, 2010 at 4:37 am #

ArZka,

I share your frustration about features that were promised long ago and still haven’t been delivered. We’re mostly a Windows shop but we, too, have some Mac and Linux boxes that we’d like to support better.

That said, your rant doesn’t make total sense to me. Why are you using Mac laptops if they don’t do the job? The cardinal rule of IT is “Choose the software that does the job you want and then buy the hardware that runs it.”

If you’re using a Mac just because you love them, then stop complaining that it doesn’t do the job you want. Otherwise, buy a PC and get on with your business. If I ranted about how ugly my Windows laptop is and how I wanted it to be beautiful like a Mac, you would be telling me the same thing.

• ArZka October 19, 2010 at 2:13 am #

Please, don’t turn this into an OS war. The main reason we use Macs is that – as I said – many of our customers use a mixed environment consisting of Windows, Mac and Linux boxes. The easiest way to support and manage this kind of environment – BY FAR – is to use Macs. Plus, we love Macs. It frees us to solve problems on our customers’ machines since we don’t have to fight with our own computers constantly.

Currently the only feature we are lacking (unless we boot into a virtual machine or actually use a Windows machine) is remote control through Kaseya. The other features we can use.

The options we have are either:

1.) Use Macs, and lose remote control unless using a horrible kludge. Everything else works, and problem solving at customer site is a LOT faster.

2.) Use Windows machines, and basically still have to drag around another laptop to be able to debug even the simple problems because Windows machines simply can’t cut it in a mixed environment. For Windows problems they’re just fine, but that’s it.

Kaseya might work well for someone who runs and supports 100% Windows customers. Newsflash: That’s a dying breed. We currently have less than 5% of our customers running only Windows. We want to be able to support each and every one of them the same. Currently it’s not possible, and I’m wondering how long we have to wait to see it happen. If you don’t have the expertise on Mac world to allow remote control from a Mac workstation, buy it elsewhere. With your current rates it shouldn’t be a problem, especially since you’d be gaining a lot more customers with that. Or losing some of the current ones if you delay much longer.

• Scott Gorcester October 19, 2010 at 9:17 am #

ArZka, if you don’t want to turn this into an OS war then why do you flame Windows? The one thing i don’t like about many MAC users is how they incessently complain about Windows. I happen to LOVE my Windows machines AND my MAC’s AND my Linux, in my home today I have WIN7, SERVER 2008 R2, a MAC G4, iPhone, a XENSERVER, an Ubuntu laptop, and a Motion tablet running WIN7. My iPad should be delivered today. We ALL get along just fine with no fighting at all!

• ArZka October 22, 2010 at 2:26 am #

I wasn’t trying to flame Windows. The cruel fact is, if you have customers with Macs having problems connecting to a Windows server, there’s no way I’m aware of to solve it without actually running a Mac – or taking over the customer’s workstation for possibly a few hours to troubleshoot the issue. I rather not intrude on their work as long as they’re able to do it, but take my own workstation, connect it to the network, confirm I have the same issue and then start working on it while the customer happily does whatever s/he still can. Most of the mac/WinSrv issues take quite a while to solve but usually aren’t anything that prevents the customer from working at all. A Windows workstation wouldn’t be of any help (except for googling) because it doesn’t suffer from the same issues.

Then again, when the Windows machines have problems, it’s usually something I’ve already seen several times, or something I can solve quick and easily even running OS X – and if it isn’t, there’s always the option to boot to Windows on my virtual machine. I’d rather not, but sometimes you just have to do it.

There are several ways to work with the customers. I aim to provide them a service with low overall cost. Taking over an employee’s workstation for two hours to troubleshoot an issue is very expensive for the customer. They pay for my time plus they pay for the time lost because they employee can’t do his/her work. If possible, I solve the issue while they work so they only pay for my time. So far we’ve only had satisfied customers, so I guess I’m not complely wrong in my views.

My personal preferences are another thing. Even though I should just shut up now, I can’t help it: Linux works for servers, but it’s nowhere near desktop-ready for me yet. Even less so for laptops. Windows – well, the machine I’m writing this on is my Vista Enterprise x64 setup, and it’s the only Vista installation I’ve seen so far that hasn’t given me (or anyone else) any grief. That’s not including the K2 migration that killed my remote support capabilities completely – but this was overdue for clean reinstall to Win7 anyway. On a laptop – in general – I prefer OS X to Windows for multiple reasons. Most of this is because of the way I work, the tools I work with and not so much anything OS-specific.

I’m not saying any of those is bad (or good), and I know none of them works for everyone. My choice is clear, and I know many who have chosen otherwise and are just as happy. It’s all about finding the tool that works for the job you need it for.

This ended up being a long and probably uninteresting post for anyone, but since I’ve wasted my time writing it I’m going to post it anyway. Let’s hope it brings something good to someone’s life somewhere. 🙂

• Brendan Cosgrove October 13, 2010 at 11:00 am #

ArZka,
      I’m guessing you bought through Upstream. Have you checked in with them on the speed issues? With the updates coming in the next few weeks, you will see even more functionality with the Mac agent. We have been testing internally, Safari support using Live Connect both to a from OSX machines. As you can imagine integrating the same feature sets from a Windows agent to a Mac agent is a process, and rather than wait for the full functionality we chose the release the Mac agent support as we completed portions of it, knowing that we have customers hungry for ANY Mac agent support. You’ll see the same approach to our Linux agent that was just released. It is a basic agent with more functionality coming. And of course, whatever solution you use for supporting your networks/clients has to fit your business requirements, and while we think that our platform can cover virtually any scenario of business requirements we recognize that it may not be the best for everyone.

Before leaving Kaseya, you may want to open a support ticket with us to look at the things that seems strange to you. You may also want to contact Upstream, george@upstream.se , they have a lot of experience with our product and may be able to provide some good guidance.

• ArZka October 19, 2010 at 2:18 am #

Being able to support customers on a Mac is a very welcome feature. I don’t care which browser I have to use (as long as it’s not the long dead Internet Explorer for Mac), or which connection method it is (as long as it doesn’t cost us extra), if it just works.

The most important feature for us is just that – being able to support FROM a Mac. As I hope I remembered to mention earlier, we haven’t had any Mac agents so far and haven’t really had any need for those. I’m currently evaluating what the Mac Agent can do and how it affects the machine, but that’s just an added bonus. Just give me remote support capabilities, and I’m a happy camper.

25. ArZka October 13, 2010 at 2:23 am #

What comes to Live Connect – I’ve tried it once and to be honest, it’s so slow on a quad-core Windows Vista 64bit machine with 8GB of mem I don’t want to use it. I can’t imagine what it’s like on a normal workstation. It did enable us to salvage one trip because all other remote control functionality failed. Still, I would’ve rather been able to use the K-VNC connection as usual even though it pisses me off to have to fire up Windows machine for something as simple as that every single time.

26. Scott Gorcester October 13, 2010 at 10:05 am #

I have flamed Kaseya on this very blog for terrible support. I am here to say that Kaseya has come a long way to resolve my complaints. In the past 4 to 6 months I have seen a greatly improved response from support, not what I would always rate as excellent but today I at least feel I can get help where last year I didn’t. Sure there are some areas that I would like to see improved, Live connect is very cool but I rarely use it because its slow, I would love to have MAC and Linux support especially for XENServer and some tools for XENApp Servers, I would like to have additional Image2VM support for XENServer. I have with Kaseya’s help implemented an Incident Service Desk that is heads and shoulders better than VSA ticketing, and today we have completely revamped and improved our support using this tool. Thank you for stepping up Kaseya and please don’t stop working on improving your products and support, its a thankless and never ending job bringing value to your customers.

• Brendan Cosgrove October 13, 2010 at 11:03 am #

Glad to hear that your experience has improved Scott. This thread is crazy long and has covered so many topics. The thanks we get is loyalty from customers like you. 🙂