Dashboards are Brilliant!!!

Do you have a dashboard for your managed services practice?  If not, you are missing out on an amazing opportunity to connect with your prospects and customers in a very real, very significant way.  For many people not doing IT we are just geeks who operate in a black box of sorts.  Dashboards give outsiders a glimpse of all that you do for them.

Here is an excerpt from Seth Godin’s Blog that I think has incredible relevance for ITSP and IT Departments alike.

Building good dashboards isn’t difficult, but it’s an excellent marketing strategy. A few brainstorms:

1.  If you can add a digital dashboard to your service, do it.

2.  If you can make the dashboard public, it gets more powerful.

3.  Highlight data that changes behavior.

4.  Allow the user to highlight the information that matters to them.

If you have an office, then a publicly viewable dashboard can be a great sales tool and should be an integral part of any customer visit.  Some of Seth’s points are most relevant for web dashboards, but the most important is that it is public.  Or even just semi-public (customers only).   Putting the data out there holds the service provider accountable, and provides a transparency that builds trust.

If you have a dashboard let’s see it.  Post a link to the dashboard or a screenshot in the comments.

11 Responses to “Dashboards are Brilliant!!!”

1. Kevin Carlson August 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm #

Its a no brainer… We do this for our customers with Shoretel Stats, of course we did this at InhouseIT too if you recall (Started out by showing names on the board of people with service tickets over 7 Days old, heck I believe Cosgrove was on their several times 😉 )
    In the end I believe several MSP’s ended up buying that idea from inhouseIT.

2. Kevin, hilarious! I loved your comment. Always fun to think of old times when we invented something new almost weekly.

3. saybrook August 25, 2009 at 4:54 am #

We actually have a 42″ plasma screen that has our dashboard up for all to see 24/7. This not only allows our support team to know the moment something happens, but clients love it when they come visit us. We limit access to the digital dashboard but are slowly finding more ways to have our point of contact view it at their site when they want.

P. Marsack

4. Brendan Cosgrove August 25, 2009 at 11:01 am #

Kevin, yes that board was a great accountability tool for me and others.

Saybrook, that sounds great! Send us a pic of the plasma in action!

5. P. Marsack August 31, 2009 at 5:47 am #

sorry about the quality. taken from my iphone. Its a shot of one of our default dashboards.

6. Jay P September 1, 2009 at 7:57 am #

sorry for a beginner question, but can anyone give me some information on How To display a dashboard? What programs/equipment do I need etc? (We currently have Kaseya and ConnectWise)

• Kevin Gibson February 18, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

Kevin — I would be interetsed in info on how you constructed your dashboard. I am not happy with the predefined stuff in Kaseya since it doesnt flow well on a large screen for client display. I like what I saw in your pic and this is certainly the direction I want to go in.

7. Kevin Carlson September 1, 2009 at 8:28 am #

Here is a Dash for you. Its halfway done but gives you some good ideas.

8. P. Marsack September 2, 2009 at 5:59 am #