Time is money. That’s why it’s important for you to resolve end users’ technical issues as quickly and easily as possible. Using remote network monitoring and management software is a key way to increase technician productivity, reduce your service delivery costs, shorten resolution times and keep end users productive and happy.
What’s the average time it takes for a user to call when a server goes down? Do you know about the outage before they call? It isn’t possible for one IT professional to watch all the critical services under their management. IT administrators need to know what’s going on with the systems within their networks. Proactive remote network monitoring and management of servers, workstations, computers, Windows Event Logs and applications is critical to security, performance and the overall operations of your organization. Down time is not acceptable.
To remediate issues without disrupting end users, MSPs and IT service organizations use remote network monitoring software to dramatically lower the cost of managing hundreds of thousands of IP-enabled devices worldwide.
Remote network monitoring and management functionality should include:
- Efficient and easy automation for a variety of IT systems management services and routine tasks
- Proactive services delivery to end users
- Automated, detailed reporting on the performance of your IT services
- Monitoring of the availability and performance of devices and rules-based notifications delivered to the right person at the right time
Proactive network monitoring is critical to the security, performance and reliability of any network. Remote network monitoring software should provide IT administrators with tools that can monitor any network device via a centralized and secure web-based portal. It should also continuously monitor email servers, web servers and other network and web-based services.
Remote network monitoring and management software should test network and Internet connections using a ping command, and if desired, use specific commands to test DNS, SMTP, POP or HTTP services. The software should also send notification alerts when critical servers go down, or end users modify hardware, or when a potential security threat occurs.
Key questions to ask when considering a remote monitoring management solution
- Will the solution enable you to monitor all of your networks and end-users from a single management console?
- Does the solution provide Windows management capabilities, as well as monitoring the event log?
- How robust are the reporting capabilities?
- Does the remote network monitoring software include file transfer, remote command prompt, remote registry editor, etc.?
The most effective remote network monitoring software uses a combination of both agents (used primarily on mobile devices) and probes to provide a full view of the entire business network. The ability to remotely monitor is crucial for the proper management of your network devices. By employing a remote monitoring management solution that issues alerts based on thresholds that you define, you can gain critical insight into potential problems on the network and proactively correct them before they lead to costly downtime for end users.
Learn more about the benefits of using an integrated and automated remote network monitoring software for your IT environment. Listen to our webinar, “5 Strategies for Managing Remote Finance IT Systems from Your Office” here!